When: Nov 20th, 7:00 – 8:30pm
Resources: How to Paint Birch Trees
How many teens: 22 teens
- 11 x 14 Canvas (24): $20
- Paint 8 fl oz bottles (6) : $17.82
- One bottle of each of the following colors: Black, White, Gold, Yellow, Red, & Green.
- Sea Sponges (5 pks; 25 total): $14.85
- Brushes (flat, round, & sponge): $20
- Cardboard Palettes: $0
I’m extremely lucky that I have an artist on staff who did all the planning and taught the class for me. Truly, this is her event, but I was there to help with paint and act as back up.
The set-up was pretty simple. We did 7 tables with three chairs at each table. My co-worker was stationed up front where everyone could see her. Since the canvas was on the smaller size, we did hook up a camera to our TV so it was more visible. This seemed to work well and no one complained that they couldn’t see.
As for the process, my co-worker went through step-by-step on how to recreate the painting. She broke it down as much as possible and gave hints/tips as they went along. She also made sure to tell them repeatedly that each of their paintings would look different and that was okay! Of course, the skill sets were all vastly different, but all the teens had fun which is what matters the most to me. Almost all of them begged us to do another one in the future!
- I am so impressed by how smooth this one went. We were both worried that with such a large group we’d have trouble getting them to quiet down & listen, but it couldn’t be further from the truth. All of them really paid attention and listened to what they had to do. The next time we do this, we plan to make it only 60 minutes. The 90 minutes was just a bit too much for them.
- Also, we’ll pick a painting with a bit less detail. All the teens did fine until we got to the birch trees. Most of them did fine, but it was the only area they struggled.
- Have breaks! We had two 5 min breaks just to let the paint dry and let them chit-chat. I truly think this is what helped keep them so focused.
- Use disposable tablecloths. I cannot stress this one enough! It made cleanup a breeze.
- Don’t have an artist on staff? Use youtube as your “instructor”. Had I done this one on my own, I would have simply shown the youtube video and paused it along the way. There are several other instructional videos like this that you could use!