I know, some of you have been waiting for this for what feels like FOREVER! I still feel like the program was yesterday!
First of all, I cannot say thank you enough to Sarah of YA Librarian Tales for posting a compilation that she received about how to put the program together — it was extremely helpful in seeing exactly how another librarian created this program! (Sarah helpfully has the entire file zipped and uploaded, which you can download right here.)
I recommend reading the “Life Sized Monopoly Getting Started” file and then coming back here. Most of what I did was already set-up in the file, but I do have some tips that I want to share with you!
Game board as I have it laid out measures 254 inches by 254 inches.
Creating the Game Board
1. Use a 22×28 size posterboard. If you add the two sheets of 8 1/2 x 11 paper turned sideways to the top of each posterboard, you are a 1/2 inch off of creating the perfect Monopoly space ratio. Yes, I am that big of a geek and figured it out.
2. That means that your four corner spaces should measure 28×28. For our board, we cut down posterboards to 14 and 8. We had extra posterboard, so we did cut another piece to make two exactly 8 1/2 pieces. All in all, we used 10 pieces of posterboard to make the corner squares.
3. I glued everything down before laminating for the regular board pieces. For the corners, I had to laminate each piece separately and then assemble because our in-house machine only fits up to 24 inch pieces. After that, I taped on laminated “Go” and “In Jail” signs.
4. “Mars Magenta” paper isn’t made anymore, so I had to use “Fuschia Fireball” which is clearly the WRONG color. It only bothered me, the teens did not care. (Nor did they spend two weeks staring at a Monopoly board becoming anal-retentive about every detail.)
5. I re-did all of the Monopoly space files because it takes forever for our computer to print PDF files, and also we have 11×17 paper available for printing. Made everything a bit bigger!
6. My co-worker took the Monopoly images to the copier and enlarged everything by around 150%. (Again, having access to bigger paper meant making the originals bigger!)
Obtain a Monopoly Set
1. I used my property and Chance/Community Chest cards. Next time, I want to create bigger Chance/Community Chest cards. And I would like to investigate enlarging the property cards on the copier too. But I ran out of time.
2. As for money, I made my own. I made enough for three sets of standard Monopoly money so that I wouldn’t run out!
1. I didn’t! I let the teens name their team if they wanted to.
1. Nope! Bought ’em online. I figured if I keep making giant board games, I wanted a good pair of dice that could be used for all games. Also, mine are inflatable which means easier storage.
Create House and Hotels
1. My staff and I DID make paper houses and hotels. We used this template from Kaboose. We, again, enlarged the template on the copier for the hotels.
1. I set up two tables in the middle of the gameboard that everyone felt included. I set up my piano bench table right by “Go” with all the cards on it.
2. I did not assign/shuffle properties. We played a regular game until the thirty minute mark. (At the thirty minute mark, I auctioned off properties and allowed them to trade for about five minutes. It was CRAZYTOWN, but the most fun part of the day!)
3. My teens chased their own dice. And they did their own passing. By putting them in the middle of the gameboard, I was able to reach at least one of them at all times and they just passed things down.
4. I let them keep their shoes on if they wanted. (I did do a brief no-mud/dog poop check though.)
5. I never really explained the rules. They were familiar, I was familiar, and there weren’t any problems. I did create a special library rule that anytime there were more than two teams on a space, they had to have a party until someone moved.
6. At the end of the hour, I began tallying up their winnings. We had a clear winner, so I was lucky enough to not have to do a ton of math. Hooray!
7. Let them take pictures! I took a BUNCH of them on the board, and it was super fun to see some of their Facebook profile pics change to Monopoly space pictures.
A beyond HUGE thank you to my staff members; all who contributed by cutting money, cutting houses, pasting houses, and cutting out lamination pieces.
This was an intense program to prep, but now it’s done and I can play it whenever! The teens were WILD about this one; they’ve already declared “Sorry!” as the next game I should do.